Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Show Me.... for assessmnet

Our purpose today was to demonstrate that we could create story problems using numbers smaller than 20.  We could choose to do addition or subtraction (most students chose addition).

Using the lcd projector I modelled what I was looking for and set some criteria.

  •  They needed to use words to tell a story.  
  •  They needed to use pictures to match/support the story. 
  •  The pictures should be quick with little detail.  
  •  They needed to ask a question.  
  •  They needed to solve the question with a number sentence.


The students worked 1-1 with an adult overseeing what they were doing but not helping too much with the process.  For the most part the students did an EXCELLENT job.  I would love to share them with you but am having trouble with the link the site provides.

I debated over SHOW Me or educreations.  I went with Show Me because you can pause and restart the voice recording and I like how it puts the final product altogether.  It just seems easier for the kids to focus on one task at a time.  However, educreations is much easier for sharing.  Since my purpose was not for sharing Show Me was the way to go.  It does save all the Show Me's in a folder within the app on my ipad and the plan for tomorrow is to share the Show Me's with the rest of the class for feedback and to further guide the instruction.

I am thrilled with this form of assessment.  I am already planning other ideas in my head.  I think I may create my own story problems for the kids to listen to and solve on their own.  The hardest part of creating story problems is the WRITING (this eliminated that).  The hardest part of solving problems in grade one is often the READING ( my new idea could eliminate that too!)

www.showme.com/sh/?h=zRKkkwC - this link MIGHT take you to one of my examples.  If not take my word for it, it's a great assessment tool!

No comments: